Tel: (250) 385-4311
Email: [email protected]
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Family Law
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Victoria, 1981
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Victoria, 1976
Eugene Raponi has been practicing law since 1982 and was a founding partner of Waddell Raponi.
He now restricts his practice to meditation, mediation/arbitration and arbitration. Eugene is accredited by the Law Society both as a Family Law Mediator and a Family Law Arbitrator. He is an ongoing contributor to continuing professional development courses and programs in dispute resolution.
Having acted as counsel in many court applications, trials and appeals over his career, Eugene has come to appreciate the strengths as well as the weaknesses of the court process. Cost and rigidity are the most significant disadvantages of the court system, especially as it relates to families and ongoing relationships. Eugene’s approach to dispute resolution is to be respectful, efficient and creative so as to deliver the process best suited to meet the needs of the parties to a dispute.
Eugene is a former director of the Canadian Institute for Law and the Family, a past Governor of the British Columbia Law Foundation, a former member of the British Columbia Supreme Court Rules Revision Committee and served on a number of advisory committees to government. He has been active in the Canadian Bar Association for many years, serving as Chair of its National Family Law Section in 1999/2000 and has also taught courses at the University of Victoria Law School.
He was appointed Queens Counsel in 2009.
ACTIVITIES AND ASSOCIATIONS
- Past Board Member – governor, British Columbia Law Foundation; director, Canadian Research Institute for Law and the Family
- Past Board Member – Member, British Columbia Court Rules Revision Committee; Chair, Advisory Committee to the Judicial Council (BC); Chair, CBA National Family Law Section
- Past Member – Law Society of British Columbia, Canadian Bar Association, Hear the Child Society Roster
- Present Member – Family and Civil Mediation Rosters
- Accredited – Family Law Mediator and Family Law Arbitrator (Law Society of BC)